Sunday 14 May 2017

Walton's Music Competition 2017

Well, I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be standing on the stage of the National Concert Hall, singing to my hearts content! 

I remember asking my principal as a 5th class student if we could enter the Waltons music competition, but my request was denied as we apparently were not good enough to compete. Well wouldn't you know - we made it to the top 6 in Ireland this year, in TY! 

The theme of this years competitions was crossing musical borders, so we all put together a mix of three modern pop songs that suited this theme - Same Love (Macklemore), It's Alright Not to Feel Okay (Heathers) and Drive it Like You Stole it (from Sing Street, the movie). We added in a cello, which was played like a guitar, and a guitar which was played like a cello (crossing musical borders). We also used body percussion, rattled old coins in our pockets, and boom whackers. About 30 of us sang the songs along with the instruments. The end result sounded really professional, and being up on stage in front of the different schools and audience members felt amazing! 

After all the weeks of time and effort we had put in after and during school, we felt really proud to have finally performed our finished piece. While we didn't place in the top 3, we still had the most wonderfully fun experience and day out in town with our friends. I can't wait to compete in Waltons again next year, and be in charge of rearranging the songs and music!

No comments:

Post a Comment